Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cincinnati Style Chili - Recipe #1

Chili isn't really my thing, but my husband loves is obsessed with it.  He grew up in Cincinnati, home of Gold Star Chili and Skyline Chili.  Those who are familiar with it know its cult like followings.  There are a few Skyline restaurants in Florida and I've been able to visit those.  It's not like any chili I've ever had.  It's more complex and spicey, but not hot spicey.  More like cinnamon and clove spicey.  It also has some chocolate undertones.  There are quite a few ways to properly eat your Skyline Chili.  My husband prefers a 3-Way.  Now don't get excited - a 3-Way is a mound of spaghetti, chili and a monstrous portion of shredded cheddar cheese.  You can also make a 4-Way, which adds either diced onions or red beans.  And even a 5-Way, which includes everything!

I decided I'd like to try and make this chili at home.  There are tons of recipes for Cincinnati chili.  I figure I'll have to try a few to see which comes close. 


So what was the verdict?  Well, he literally licked his plate clean!  So I guess he liked it!  He said it didn't taste 100% like Skyline, but he said it was awesome!  And a bonus - it's SUPER easy to make.  I even used low-fat cheese and it was still delicious. 

Skyline Style Cincinnati Chili
adapted from Allrecipes
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 onions, finely chopped
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 half of a square of unsweeted baker's chocolate
1/4 cup chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
5 whole allspice berries
5 whole cloves  (I didn't have these, so I just added some ground cloves~1/8 teaspoon)
1 bay leaf
additional water, as needed

Put the ground beef into a large pot and cover with water, about 2 inches above meat.  Bring to a boil.  Stir the meat and break it up to as fine a texture as you'd like.  (Cincinnati chili has a very fine texture.)  Simmer the meat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink.  Cover the pot and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, skim the fat off the top of the pan.  You can throw it out.  Empty the water and add fresh water to the pot to cover the meat about 1 inch.  Add all the ingredients to the pot.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to heat to a simmer.  Cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.  Keep an eye on the chili.  You'll want to add extra water throughout the cooking process so it doesn't burn.  You could end up adding as much as 3 cups of water. (Cincinnati Chili tends to be more on the watery side.) You do not need to cover the chili, but you may want a splatter screen so it doesn't make a huge mess. 

FYI - don't attempt to taste this before it's done cooking.  You will choke on the amount of chili powder that's in it!  Seriously, I was afraid I wasn't going to eat it at all.  But cooking it for 3 hours really mellows out the flavors.



2 comments:

  1. Try the recipe from my blog. I think it's from copykat.com. My husband is a Cincinnati native and I'm not, but I am hooked on it. We make double batches of this and freeze or can it for quick meals during the week. I've also found that pulsing the chili a couple times in the food processor gets the consistency right. I could never break it up enough as it cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cincinnati chili - but I've never even had the real thing! When I was a kid my mom had a Campbell's Soup cookbook and there was a recipe for Cincinnati chili made from condensed tomato soup. I think my grown-up palette would feel differently about that version now but this was definitely a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete