Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wilton Cake Decorating Course 2: Final Cake

I had a really good time taking Wilton Course 2.  The class was much smaller, which meant it was easier to spread out and get some more attention from the instructor.

Course 2 focuses on making flowers out of royal icing.  I was so happy I didn't have to make the icing using Crisco again, at least for most of the classes.  Royal icing dries to a hard finish, so you can make a ton of flowers ahead of time and they keep well until you're ready to decorate your cake.

We also learned how to work with color flow.  I have to say, I'm not a huge fan.  You can see the colorflow in the little blue bird on the cake.

So in each class, we learned a few different flowers that we saved until the final class.  I think my favorites were the pansies and the violets.

In the final class, we also learned how to make a rope border and a basketweave.  I have to say, once you get the hang of the basketweave, it's awesome!!  I loved how it came out. It's my favorite cake so far!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are having fun in your classes. Looks like you have a lot of talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen! I also took the Wilton cake decorating class. Neat to see your experience with it. I remember the little blue bird!

    -Jenwindy from Boston Knot

    ReplyDelete