Monday, November 23, 2009

Tea at the Four Seasons

Ever since my friend and I visited London for the first time back in 2001, I've enjoyed spending an afternoon having high tea.

My first experience was at the Ritz in London.  I wish I had some of those photos online, as nothing can compare to it! 

Over the years I've been to quite a few afternoon teas around Boston.  I've liked them all for different reasons.  There is a new cupcake tea at the Ritz in Boston, which I'd like to try sometime, but this weekend, my husband surprised me with tea at the Four Seasons.

Afternoon Tea at the Four Seasons is held in the Bristol Lounge, which overlooks the Boston Common.  It's a beautiful setting, and perfect for an afternoon tea.

To start off, we decided to have the Royal Tea, which comes with a glass of Kir Royal.

Nothing like a little bubbly on a Saturday afternoon!

For our tea selection, I chose the Black Currant, which is Black Tea Infused with the Delectable Fruitiness of Black Currant and Dried Fruit Added.  My husband had the English Breakfast – Orange Pekoe Black Tea, Well Balanced and Bright with an Apricot Fruit Flavour.  We both really enjoyed the Black Currant.  It had a sweet and mellow flavor.

For our sandwiches, we had curry chicken salad, cucumber with Boursin and watercress, and a shrimp mousse.
I opted for an extra cucumber salad, since I don't eat seafood.  My husband thought  the shrimp mousse tasted very fishy, and they were kind enough to bring him an extra cucumber sandwich as well.  I enjoyed the cucumber sandwiches, but I did think the bread was a little on the stale side.
And no Afternoon Tea is complete without scones and clotted cream!  They served cranberry scones with Strawberry Jam, Lemon Curd and Devonshire Cream.  I don't know what they put in that cream, but it's divine!  The proper way to eat it is to mix the strawberry jam and cream together.

We also had a selection of 3 different desserts.
 We had one pecan bread tart, a mini cheesecake and a lemon curd shortbread.  I really enjoyed the cheesecake.
Next time I'd like to try that cupcake tea or perhaps the L'Espalier's Fantasy Tea.

1 comment:

  1. We need to do tea again! Maybe grab Audrey for an afternoon escape?

    ReplyDelete